Saturday, August 21, 2010

The art of single parenting

Jason was called out of town for several days to paint a lodge on a remote bay of the island. He has been away from us for up to a week before, but I always had my sisters or mom nearby to help out during those times. Last week, I started up working full time again for the school year the same day that Jason left.

He planned to complete the job so long as the weather held out. I admit, I felt joy today at the sight of rain, and the forecast for it to continue for the next three days. Will he come home? (I hope so). Or will he have to stay through til sun breaks through? (oooh, I hope not). No way to know when he will be back, because he has no phone service.
Sigh.

This is the first time I have really experienced what it feels like to be a full-time working, single parent. Wow! I haven't had a moment to rest between waking, work, meals, cleanup, and bedtime. (Hallelujah for Saturday!)

The time with my kids is wonderful, but I appreciate my husband, and all of the things he does, large and small, soooo much!!

I think I am going to bake him a carrot cake when he returns.

No comments: