Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Revived-

And perhaps I will keep it this way.

It is easy to let the routine of posting go to the wayside, being a mostly one-sided means of communication. At times, I feel like I am parading my words and pictures across the stage of a vacant auditorium. And then, every so often, someone asks if I will post again. Alas, I will. Even if it is for my own therapy and self-indulgence.

The last few months have found us living on an island with tousled and windblown hair. The winds roll in from North Pacific waters, carrying the rains through town at seemingly impossible angles. Umbrellas are useless when the rain blows up into your face rather than falling from above as the laws of physics and common sense tell us they should. And these past months, along with the ever-blowing rain, have steadily cracked away at our faith in practical reason.
Over the course of 2009, we have traveled approximately 4,500 miles from one home to another, and I can not even begin to rationalize it. I'd rather contemplate that we now share roughly the same latitude as Estonia.

And so here we are, adjusting well, and yet still fending off periodic bouts of restlessness from lack of mobility. We long for our indoor rope swing on these short winter days.

Our girls have developed new levels of rivalry and conflict, and yet they can still be amiable and even generous with each other.

Nakiah took a pottery class, and here are a few of her creations:


A temporary work space for Jason. Nothing compared to the ensemble of a setup he had in NY, but it's a much warmer than that drafty (albeit beloved) house.


Notice he lopped off his hair?
I did too, sort of.

1 comment:

Myles-Era Family said...

Merry Christmas to you all!! Glad to see Jason making some music. That is exactly what dreary winters are good for!!!
Love you guys! Have a great New Year!