
We received our first distribution for our CSA summer share today. (CSA stands for Community Supported Agriculture and enables people to buy shares of local farms -shareholders receive fresh, local, organic produce every week of the season!) The first weeks usually consist of lots of leafy greens, radishes and turnips, and some kind of baby bok choi. One bite of our greens at dinner brought me immediately back to our home in Olympia where we took part in our first CSA. I am not sure if I have experienced the rich flavor of organic greens (picked only hours before) since then.
Even though we are planting a garden at home, and a fairly ambitious one at that (we'll see how I do), I think we will remain CSA'ers for life. There is just no going back! It's convenient, affordable, yummy!, a great way to meet new people, and better for the environment and local economy.
You can search for CSA farms by region at localharvest.org if you're interested.
On a side note, we are also learning about edible wild plants unique to the northeast. It's a little time consuming to identify a plant accurately at first (since I utilize a number of sources for safety measure, i.e. I cross reference between multiple books, web sites, and knowledgeable people) but it is exciting knowledge to have and use! We harvested our first wild leeks last week (which we used in soup) and have identified garlic mustard growing all over our yard (from which we are making a whopping supply of pesto for the freezer).
We are wishing you all a 'real food' summer-
Happy June and sunshine!
1 comment:
yummm i was going to look into that for us as well and then just didn't get around to it.
we will have a small share of produce from our garden.
Post a Comment