Sunday, March 9, 2008

the many jois of parenting

Tovi is shedding her sweet disposition. Or at least learning how to control it to her advantage.
Plus, she has recently mastered a new phrase. Here is a synopsis from this evening's dinner:

Tovi, as usual, is having trouble staying seated for her meal. She takes a bite and, while chewing, stands up in her seat and sways her body around as if she hears music in her head.

"Tovi," I say, "please sit down to eat your dinner."

With an unflinching smile she responds "Shut Up, Mommy."

Jason and I have already reprimanded her several times today for using this phrase. I look hard at her and, trying not to laugh, say "you need to get down from the table now."

Her smile turns into a pouty lip and she glares her eyes at me. She slides off the seat and says again, though this time with a slow and defiant, less cheery tone, "shut up, Mommy."

"Go sit in your bedroom until you can be nice," I say.
Her steps turn into a run and from down the hall she screams, "SHUT UP, Mommy!"

She was hardly out of the room when my composure broke and Nakiah and I shared a hearty laugh. Again, from the stairs I hear, "Shut up, Mommy!" Perhaps I should be crying but I am laughing so hard I am almost there.

A few moments later after I catch my breath and have resumed eating, Tovi's footsteps come pattering down the hall. She comes through the doorway with one hand behind her back and a sweet smile on her face.
"Is there something you want to say to me?" I ask her.

She smiles a little harder then pulls out "The Little Mermaid" DVD.

"Can I watch a movie?" she says.

[Insert expletive of choice. Rough times foreseen]


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, my stomach hurts!! Reminds me of a not-so-surprisingly similar child singing "Mommy is a turrrd, Mommy is a turrrrrd!" as Waites Lake became smaller and smaller in the rearview.
Though the hint of nervousness in my laughter could only be detected by the adept ear of a parent blessed with raising a toddler. A true test of strength and simultaneous humility.

Anonymous said...

Oh Tovi (lol)...she will be a force to be reckoned with. As long as her and Nakiah don't team up together too often, then you and Jason have a fighting chance.

I can't believe how fast Nakiah is growing up! She looks so tall in those pictures!

-Sarah

CatieAn said...

oh brianna It is music to MY ears.
Said the mother of the little one who was sing songing 'mommy is a turrrd Mommy is a turrrrrd.
Of course your father and I were having a difficult time trying to keep our composure in the front seat. Grandpa Hattenburg used to tell me "what goes around comes around!" when I would call and tell him of you and your siblings escapades! Who moi????
LOve
MOM